Packing has become a bit of a routine for Sam and I lately. Either hopping on the next train to explore the hidden gems of the UK or boarding a flight abroad for the millionth time, packing is a pattern that never ceases to precede our travels. In just a few hours, we’ll be heading to the airport to explore yet another city from my Ultimate Travel Bucket List – Prague. As a matter of fact, this post might already be up when Sam and I are wandering around Prague’s Old Town and crossing Charles Bridge! Having ticked off Madeira, Brussels and Bruges in the last few months, I’ve become a bit of an expert when it comes to our holiday checklist. No matter the season, destination or type of transportation, I believe there are some travel essentials you always need to make sure to incorporate in your cabin-size wheelie carry-ons or travel backpacks. Our Herschel Little America backpacks are a favourite travel companion of ours, as they are not only comfortable but also the maximum size for carry-on luggage, fitting pretty much everything you need!
So, whether you’re going on a quick weekend trip or a week-long one, here’s my holiday packing list for short haul trips.
Quick important tip: lay out everything on your carry-on list the night before. This way, you’ll know exactly what you’ll be taking with you. Take time to fully charge and back up your electronic devices and check the weather in both your current location and your destination to avoid surprises when arriving.
The techie bits
- Phone, iPad, camera (fully charged and backed up), headphones, memory card, power bank (we have a great one from Anker that holds 7 full phone charges at a time!)
- Chargers for the above and adapters (double check the sockets used in the place you’re travelling to)
- Passport, Driving Licence, Visas (if needed)
- Credit/Debit Card, Multi-Currency Prepaid Card (we love our Caxton FX travel cards), Cash (double check the currency used in the place you’re travelling to)
- Travel Insurance, European Health Insurance Card (if you are in Europe)
- Itineraries: boarding passes (previously checked in; both printed and on your phone), train/bus/tube tickets, hotel/car bookings
- Travel guides, maps (Apps, such as Citymapper, can be very useful to get your way around cities), a list of things to do/see and a very much needed pen!
- Travel Minis (under 100ml): toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, face-wash, skin care, moisturiser, lenses solution, eye drops, suncream, hand sanitiser – if you run out of space, leave the cheapest items as you can easily get them later
- Toothbrush, lenses, retainers
- Makeup/cleansing/sanitary wipes, lip balm, tampons and pads (if needed)
*Top tip: Boots sells empty 100ml bottles that you can fill with your everyday products
Travel beauty essentials
- Travel makeup case, makeup brushes, hairbrush, hairbands, bobby pins, mini mirror, straighteners/curler
Entertainment and food
- Book, magazines, tv series previously downloaded on iPad (Netflix, iPlayer), enough music on you phone (Spotify, Apple music), podcasts
- Snacks, water bottle (bought after security)
Other travel essentials
- Pain killers, plasters, tissues, antihistamines and prescribed medication
- Suitcase lock and key
- Tote bag and a small lightweight bag (very handy to carry stuff around when you are exploring)
- Carrier bag (for used clothes or muddy shoes)
- Travel towel (for those occasions where your bnb/hostel doesn’t provide towels)
- Change of clothes (depending on location) – day and night outfits, pyjamas (for those cold at night), track bottoms, socks, underwear, raincoat (Sam loves his packable Patagonia Nano Puff hoody jacket), chunky cardigans/jacket if it gets chilly, shoes (trainers, flats, sandals, maybe a pair of heels for a night out!), swimsuit
Our must-have travel essentials
- Sam’s Bose QC25 headphones are his absolute travel essential. They’re great for blocking the engine noises, screaming children and listening to music when travelling!
- As for me, I love podcasts. I always make sure I have downloaded a few episodes from different podcasts so I can have plenty of options to choose from. Whether we are on a train, plane or car, podcasts are an absolute travel essential. And an everyday favourite!
I believe I’ve covered all my short-haul carry on travel essentials! Is there anything you think I’ve missed? If you really loved our post please leave us a comment and show us some love on social media using the buttons below
Do you like travelling as much as we do? Then check out some of our travel guides:
- Black Heritage Trail, Boston (Massachusetts) guide and map
- Things you must do in Prague
- Affordable things to do in Cannes, Côte d’Azur
- The 10 best things to do in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Best things to do in York
- Things to do in Monaco on a budget
- The 10 best things to do in Lisbon
- 24 Hours in Coimbra
- The 10 best things to do in Porto