My Ultimate Travel Bucket List

Looking from Elevador de Santa Justa, Lisbon

Ever since I can remember, I have been obsessed with travelling. My Grandad used to work on a big cargo ship and had the opportunity to visit every country the ship went to. When he was back, he would bring me little presents and books from all over the world. The stories he would tell and languages he could speak made me want to visit all those places too! This ultimately inspired me to create my bucket list. After all, there is so much more out there to see and experience, and we only have one life to do so.

I made it my mission to see as much of our world as I possibly can. There is a whole culture out there and I believe staying in your comfort zone can really limit you to experience the wonders our world has to offer. Luckily, Sam and I both share a huge love for travelling and decided to start a blog and feature all of our adventures around the world and in London were we currently live.

So here it is, my Ultimate Travel Bucket List! And yeah, it is a long one. I will be updating it over time with new places and activities we discover. Likewise, we will be crossing places off the list and featuring them in a blog post with tips, comments and recommendations.

View from Castelo de São Jorge, LisbonAt Castelo de São Jorge, Lisbon

MY TRAVEL BUCKET LIST

1. Go on a camel ride in the Sahara Desert, Morocco
  2. See/Scuba dive Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef, Australia
  3. Stay in a bungalow in Bora Bora, French Polynesia
  4. Go on a LOTR inspired trip to New Zealand – Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, see Mount Ngauruhoe (“Mount Doom”) and get lost in Hobbiton
  5. Have a pint of Guiness in Dublin, Ireland
  6. Go on an African Safari at the Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
  7. See a man in a kilt playing the bagpipes in Edinburgh, Scotland – CHECK!
  8. Visit Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow, Russia
  9. Ride Tram 28 in Lisbon, Portugal – CHECK!
  10. Go on a sea kayak trip in Calanques National Park, France
  11. Walk through the Fushimi Inari-taisha in Kyoto, Japan
  12. Get a train over the Glenfinnan Viaduct (Harry Potter), Scotland
  13. Hike the Inca trail and reach Machu Picchu, Peru
  14. Climb up to the feet of the Tian Tan Buddha (Big Buddha), Hong Kong
  15. Eat pancakes in NY, US – CHECK!
  16. Take a helicopter ride over Kauai, Hawaii
  17. Visit the archaeological city of Petra, Jordan
  18. Meet the monkeys at the Ubud Monkey Forest, Bali
  19. Go on a Wicker Toboggan Sled Ride in Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal – CHECK!
  20. Party at Glastonbury, England
  21. Explore Dubrovnik, Croatia
  22. Visit the Acropolis of Athens, Greece
  23. Go on a road trip through Route 66, US
  24. See humpback whales – Canada, Mexico, New Zealand…anywhere!
  25. Go to the top of the Empire State Building, NY, US – CHECK!
  26. Ride a gondola in Venice, Italy
  27. Visit the Rila Monastery, Bulgaria
  28. Travel along the French Riviera (Côte d’Azur) – CHECK!(Cannes, Nice, Monaco)
  29. Attend a FIFA World Cup match
  30. Cross Charles Bridge in Prague, Czech Republic – CHECK!
  31. See the Terracotta Army of the First Emperor of China in the Lintong District, Shaanxi, China
  32. Visit the Grand Canyon and walk along the Skywalk, US
  33. Drink a beer at the Oktoberfest in Germany
  34. Visit the Lincoln Memorial at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., US
  35. See the Stari Most in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
  36. Explore Snowdonia, Wales
  37. Go up Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland – CHECK!
  38. Ride in a Hot Air Balloon…anywhere!
  39. Cross the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo, Japan
  40. Visit the Giant’s Causeway, Ireland
  41. See the Northern Lights in Iceland
  42. Visit the Cavern Club in Liverpool (World’s best rock&roll club where The Beatles started playing!) – CHECK!
  43. Have glühwein in a Christmas Market – in Austria or Germany!
  44. Hike the Lake District, England
  45. Eat pintxos in Bilbao, Basque Country
  46. Hike and reach the top of a Volcano – CHECK! (Teide Volcano, 3,718m, Canary Islands)
  47. Rollerblade along Venice Beach, Los Angeles, US
  48. Go on a reindeer sleigh ride in Lapland, Finland
  49. Explore the Mayan Yucatán (Chichén Itzá) and Teotihuacán (Pyramids of the Moon/Sun), Mexico
  50. Attend the Olympic Games
  51. Visit the Niagara Falls, Canada
  52. Visit Monument Valley in Utah, US
  53. Travel the Jurassic Coast, England
  54. Tour the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, The Netherlands – CHECK!
  55. Visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Krakow, Poland
  56. Run like a Baywatch lifeguard in Santa Monica Beach, Los Angeles, US
  57. Hike in North America’s National Parks – Yosemite, Yellowstone, Zion
  58. Visit the Alhambra in Granada, Spain
  59. Visit the Neuschwanstein Castle in southwest Bavaria, Germany
  60. See the Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  61. Stand in the Crown of the Statue of Liberty, NY, US
  62. Eat a Philly Cheesesteak in Philadelphia, US – CHECK!
  63. Go Port tasting in Porto, Portugal – CHECK!
  64. Explore the Taj Mahal, India
  65. Visit Dracula’s Castle, Romania
  66. Relax in the Blue Lagoon, Iceland
  67. Visit Amsterdam during the Annual Tulp Festival, The Netherlands
  68. Explore Stonehenge, England
  69. Visit the Colosseum in Rome, Italy
  70. Go to the top of the Burj Khalifa, Dubai
  71. Relax in a Caribbean Beach – Turks & Caicos, Aruba, Anguilla, Antigua, St. John, St. Lucia..anywhere!
  72. Spend New Year’s Eve in NY (and watch the ball drop in Times Square)
  73. Be in two/multiple states at once (ex. Four Corners), US
  74. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, NY, US – CHECK!
  75. Explore Gaudí’s Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain – CHECK!
  76. Walk on the Great Wall of China
  77. Have a shot of tequila in Mexico
  78. Go to Walt Disney World in Florida, US
  79. Discover Cinque Terre, Italy
  80. Visit the Sequoia National Park, US
  81. Go on a canal cruise in Amsterdam, The Netherlands – CHECK!
  82. Surf in the Gold Coast, Australia
  83. Get colourful at the Holi Festival, India
  84. Watch an England vs Australia cricket match in Australia
  85. Visit the Eden Project, England
  86. Ride a cable car in San Francisco, US
  87. Try the world’s best chocolates in Belgium – CHECK!
  88. Tram up to The Peak, Hong Kong
  89. Explore the Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt
  90. Go on a serious tomato battle in La Tomatina in Valencia, Spain
  91. Play in a Casino in Las Vegas, US
  92. Visit the Forbidden City in Beijing, China
  93. Visit Banff and Jasper national parks in Canada
  94. Eat sushi in Tokyo, Japan
  95. Attend a NBA game in the US – CHECK! (Brooklyn Nets vs Miami Heat)
  96. Climb to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy
  97. Visit Pompeii, Italy
  98. Go to the Super Bowl
  99. Visit Mount Rushmore National Park, US
  100. Swim with dolphins in Hawaii, US
  101. Hike up to the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles, US
  102. Watch a cricket match in India
  103. See bears/sloths in the wild…anywhere!
  104. Hike the trail and conquer the highest peaks in Madeira, Portugal – CHECK! (13km from Pico do Arieiro and up to Pico Ruivo, 1,861m)
  105. Visit the Great Cathedral and Mosque (Mezquita de Córdoba), Spain
  106. Visit the Roman baths in Bath, England
  107. Try the authentic Grasmere Gingerbread in Grasmere, Lake District, England – CHECK!
  108. Go punting in Cambridge, England – CHECK!

Do you also have a travel bucket list? If so, what’s on it? What other places and activities would you recommend adding?

Grats.

Want to know why we started a blog? Check out:

Follow Blushrougette with Bloglovin

36 comments

1. Gary

I’ve done number 23 and wouls SO reccomend it! On that same trip I made time to tick off your number 101 also!!
    Solid bucket list, hope you can work through them all!

1. blushrougette

So jealous! We are so looking forward to exploring more of the US, especially the national parks! Which part of Route 66 did you do? Any hidden you would recommend along the way? x

2. Grace

I absolutely love how you got into travelling! So lovely to have little trinkets from all over the world! I’ve been to a couple of the places on your list and I can 100% recommend trips to both Pompeii and Auschwitz. You’ll leave both places with such a new take on life.

Grace xx

1. blushrougette

Awe thank you for the lovely comment, it makes me want to visit those places even more! I believe travelling is the best way to learn and grow as a person. There are so many things to see out there that I cannot imagine myself staying in the same place forever 🙂

x.

3. Johnny

I’ve done #51 and #97 and I fully approve of them. Niagara Falls is really something from a wonderland, love how clear and pure the falling water is.

Fun fact: There’s a New York Niagara Falls as NY is right next to where Niagara Falls in Canada is.

Johnny | The Travel Connoisseur

1. blushrougette

That’s amazing! 🙂 I’ve never been close to such a massive waterfall, let alone three like the Niagara Falls!

I loved the fun fact, I am a sucker for those!

x.

4. Charnel

Great post girl ! Those are all really awesome ideas you make me want to amp up my bucket list !

Thank you! x 🙂

5. Jennifer

Wow… what a list!!! I have only covered 14, 22, 26, 38, 39, 48, 69, 88, 94 & 96!

1. blushrougette

That’s awesome! You have covered way more than I have! Trust me, I am the jealous one here 🙂 x

6. Alexx

That’s such a long list, but looks like you’ve made a good dent in it so far. I have to admit I’ve never really been overly confident with traveling but think I might need to write a list so I can try and do some more. What’s your next trip planned? Xx

angelwingsandpetticoats.com

1. blushrougette

Haha, thank you! Sometimes I also think that there are a lot of things to check off the list, but then again there is so much to see out there! Our next trip is to Prague, I can’t wait to cross Charles Bridge (number 30!)!! x

7. Abbie

94, 87, 39, 36, 11 and 5 are just some of the ones I have done and I recommend them all! This is a fabulous list I hope you get to do them all!

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

1. blushrougette

Awe that is incredible! Thank you Abbie, I can’t wait to see all these places and more! x

8. Peanuts & Cacahuetes

I’m in love with your bucket list!! It sounds amazing! I went to the Oktoberfest and had Glühwein both in Germany already, it was so much fun! The Oktoberfest is such an experience! Everyone is singing and dancing under this huge tents!
    I went to Lapland as well ! I did a sleigh ride but it wasn’t with animal but a snow motorbike. Tou also have to visit the official village of Santa Claus in Lapland! It’s so awesome!

1. blushrougette

Omg I love your recommendations, they seem like so much fun! I am so looking forward to meet Santa Claus and the reindeer, it’s every kid’s (and adult’s) dream! x

9. Melis Living

I love this, so inspiring! You can tick Dublin off so easily from London it’s such a fun weekend break! Definitely making a note of your Japan ones as we are heading there next month.

1. blushrougette

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it! I can’t wait to explore Dublin, and Japan sounds like so much fun! Looking forward to reading your post about it! x

10. sharnah

That is so amazing that your Grandad did that! I bet that was so lovely for you. “Walk through the Fushimi Inari-taisha in Kyoto, Japan” YES x100 this is one of my dreamssss so is “Cross the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo, Japan”. You can tell I really want to go to Japan. I have never really thought about doing anything else because Japan is my dream but this has really got me thinking because there are so many beautiful places in the world. I do really want to go to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland though! I have been Wales so many times and climbed Snowdon, Snowdonia is beautiful I recommend doing that as soon as!!!! So great that you have ticked so many off your list already! xx

1. blushrougette

Awe thanks so much for the lovely comment! Japan looks like such a cool place to visit, so different from the western culture! Can’t wait to go there x

11. Bryony

this is such an amazing bucket list, I’d love to go to so many of these places! I’m so jealous of my pals who’ve gone travelling around Asia/ New Zealand- Australia etc, I need to do some more exploring myself x

1. blushrougette

Thank you! Australia and New Zealand are on top of my list, I feel like there is so much to see that I would need a long escape to do everything that’s in my list! x

12. Annelize

Wow! What a super awesome bucket list! I’ve done a few (Husky (not quite reindeer) sleigh ride in Lapland and the Tulip fields in Amsterdam was simply extraordinary! I am officially envious of your list 😉

1. blushrougette

Thank you!!! I have booked to see the Tulip Festival in Amsterdam next year, I’m excited! And I am officially envious of your sleigh ride in Lapland 🙂 x

13. The Ordinary Blogger

This is a great bucket list! I’ve been to pompeii before and it’s really impressive!

Thank you! I would love to visit Pompeii x

14. Rogue Couture

This would be so hard for me because my list of places to visit goes on and on! I have a whole folder of like 300+ photos that link to various places and things to see, eat, or do. Really like how diverse your’s is though. Hope you get to eventually check them all of them off!
    | RogueCouture.weebly.com |

1. blushrougette

Thank you! Awe a whole folder of photos sounds so cool! x

15. Abiodun komolafe

I love this bucket list.Great place ideas to visit.I would. Love to see the rockies mountains in Canada

Thank you! x

16. Bexa

Wow!! What a fantastic travel bucket list! I love how it’s so detailed! I’d also love to go to Ubud Monkey Forest in Bali, that’s number 1 on my list. Also New York for New Years would be awesome. I hope you get to see everywhere and do everything you want to! Thanks for sharing <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

1. blushrougette

Thank you so much for the lovely comment, Bexa 🙂 I agree, NY for New Year’s sounds so amazing and Ubud Monkey Forest hast to be incredibly fun! Can’t wait to visit all these places! x

17. Kim

Wow, some great ideas here and great to see you’ve managed to check some off tour list. I really love your New Zealand LOTR trip idea – “Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, see Mount Ngauruhoe (“Mount Doom”) and get lost in Hobbiton” – YES PLEASE!

I know, I am obsessed with New Zealand! I can’t wait to explore it! x

18. Rachel Wuest

What an amazing list. Although, I do think any US roadtrip is a bit far-fetched… ask any American like myself! Haha, everything is soooo far away. The Grand Canyon is in my home state (AZ) and slightly overrated, not to mention the Skywalk is a massive faff to get to, the Southern Rim is a lot easier to access. You should definitely add more scuba diving adventures on your list, it’s a whole other world down there!

1. blushrougette

Thank you, Rachel! We are going on a roadtrip around California next year and I can already tell everything is much further than I thought! Might need to organise several trips instead 😛