Autumn calls for warm cakes and hot cups of tea. And I cannot tell you how ready I am for it! I finally have an excuse to take my jumpers and oversized scarfs out of the bottom of my wardrobe. Truth is, even though I enjoyed the superb sunny weather we’ve had in the UK for the last couple of months, I must admit I certainly missed the cool breeze and autumnal crisp air. And of course the crunchy leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, nice smelling candles and warm comfort food!
Halloween may be around the corner but there is nothing scary about this cake. Following Sam’s mum’s award-winning recipe, I recently treated myself to a super easy to bake lemon drizzle cake. This light and effortless recipe is incredibly easy to follow, requires only a handful of ingredients and serves up to 10 slices. Served either warm or at room temperature, it’s moist, rich in taste and perfect to have with a hot cuppa. You can thank me later…
Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Calories 270
- Fat 11.3g
- Saturates 1.75g
- Protein 3.53g
- Carbs 41.06g
- Sugars 25.41g
- Salt 0g
- Fibre 0.83g
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs (optional: Free Range)
- ½ Cup Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 1½ Cups Self-Raising Flour (optional: use Gluten Free Flour to make it a Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake)
- Finely Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
- A Pinch of Salt
- Lemon Drizzle Topping: ¼ Cup Caster Sugar and the Juice of 2 Lemons
- To Bake: Greaseproof Paper, Loaf Tin
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF (Fan).
- Mix the olive oil and caster sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat well until smooth, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after adding each of them.
- Grate the zest of a lemon and add to the lemon cake mixture along with the self-raising flour, milk and salt. Once again, whisk well until you’re left with a nicely smooth lemony batter.
- Put baking paper in the loaf tin and pour in the mixture evenly. Remember it will rise!
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45min until golden brown. Feel free to leave it longer if it’s still not completely baked (use a toothpick to check).
- In the meantime, make the lemon drizzle topping by mixing together the remaining caster sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk well until you’re left with a smooth lemony syrup.
- When ready, take the cake out of the oven and pour the lemon drizzle topping over while still warm, so the lemon cake soaks it up.
- Leave the lemon drizzle cake to cool in the loaf tin. Once cooled, lift the cake out of the tin, slice and enjoy!
There you go, a super easy lemon drizzle cake that can be done in the same time it takes to watch an episode of Stranger Things. Just try not to finish it in the same time!
Have you baked a lemon drizzle cake before? Do you follow a different recipe? If you really loved our easy lemon drizzle cake recipe please leave us a comment and show us some love on social media, using the buttons below
Do you love food as much as us? Then check:
- How to Make: Gooey Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- How to Make: Healthy Banana and Oat Pancake Recipe
- Afternoon Tea at Sketch, London | REVIEW
- Best Pancakes in New York: Bubby’s | REVIEW