Pancakes are absolutely delicious. But let’s face it, they aren’t exactly the ideal breakfast choice for a nutritious diet. For those of us with a sweet tooth but a healthy mind, trying to incorporate sugary satisfying yet wholesome foods into our meals can be quite tricky. Pancake recipes in particular tend to be heavy and full of unhealthy fats from full-fat dairy and sugars. Inevitably after consuming such an indulgent meal, our bodies respond with a chaotic drop in our blood sugar, thus leaving us sluggish, sleepy and tired. Not the best way to treat our bodies, right?
After a lot of research and trials, we are currently loving this low-calorie banana and oat pancake recipe. It is flourless and dairy-free, containing only natural fruit sugars and a small touch of either maple syrup or honey. It is also such an easy pancake recipe that you will find yourself cooking it over and over again!
Healthy Banana and Oat Pancakes
- Calories 195
- Fat 4.2g
- Saturates 0.9g
- Protein 7.3g
- Carbs 33.3g
- Sugars 8.7g
- Salt 0.1g
- Fibre 4g
- 1 Large Ripe Banana (or 2 medium ripe bananas)
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Eggs (optional: free range)
- 1 Egg White (optional: free range)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey (optional: organic)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tsps Baking Powder
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1½ cups Rolled Oats (optional: gluten free)
- Coconut oil
- Make them vegan pancakes: ditch the eggs! The pancakes will taste as good but won't be as fluffy.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the coconut oil) in a blender.
- Continue to blend until the pancake mixture is smooth. Stir well. Optional: add fresh blueberries to the blended mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over a medium heat and add a dash of coconut oil.
- Slowly pour approximately ¼ of the pancake mix into the pan and turn it so the mixture is in circles.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side. You will notice how the pancake slowly turns into a nice golden brown colour. Flip it over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Serve your healthy pancakes with your toppings of choice.
- Fresh fruit of your choice: banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Organic jam: strawberry, blueberry, raspberry
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts
- Coconut Flakes
I hope that you guys like this healthy pancake recipe. Have you made our pancakes? Or do you have any recommendations to make these pancakes even better? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Do you love baking as much as I do? Then check:
- How to Make: Chocolate Guinness cake recipe
- How to Make: Easy lemon drizzle cake recipe
- How to make: Banana bread with chocolate chips recipe
- How to Make: Homemade protein bars with oats and cinnamon recipe
- How to Make: Gooey chocolate brownie recipe