I believe life is about making the most out of every place, situation and day. My love for travelling and exploring is heavily influenced by My Ultimate Travel Bucket List, but the reality is that it is always nice (and necessary) to come back home.
They say that home is where the heart is, and my heart is in London. Back in 2011 when I first visited the British capital, I said to myself that this is where I’d live one day, and I made it my mission to move here when I was ready. And here I am, 7 years later, writing my London Bucket List from my new home in London. More than a year has passed since I moved to London and it is safe to say I have learnt to accept the commute, embrace the not-so-common sunny weather and love a good Aperol Spritz at a rooftop bar. For some reason, you end up loving all the madness.
Sadly, I feel like many Londoners miss out on many of the wonderful things London has to offer and end up being stuck in a 9-5 Monday to Friday routine only to find themselves lazing around on the weekends and starting all over again the next day. But not me. I want to feel fulfilled and get the most of the city I live in. I want to soak up everything that is so unique to London, that makes it so different to anywhere else on the planet. I want to explore my home.
So here it is, my Ultimate London Bucket List. Like I did with my Travel Bucket List, I will be crossing places off and blogging about them with our reviews, tips and recommendations.
THINGS TO SEE & DO IN LONDON
- Visit London Zoo after dark – ZSL Zoo Nights – CHECK!
- Go for a quintessentially British afternoon tea at Sketch, London – CHECK!
- Explore Buckingham Palace – CHECK!
- Join a real live movie at Secret Cinema
- Go for a run along the Southbank
- Eat in complete darkness at Dans le Noir?
- Have a drink at Gordon’s Wine Bar (the oldest wine bar in London!)
- Visit the beautiful house of the Sambourne family at 18 Stafford Terrace
- Explore London’s tropical oasis at the Barbican Conservatory – CHECK!
- Go to The Crystal Maze Live Experience
- Be part of the live audience of a TV show
- Climb the Dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral
- Attend the Wimbledon Championships
- Go to a Michelin Star restaurant – CHECK! (Hakkasan Mayfair, Sketch London)
- Enjoy a gig at different music venues in London – CHECK! (O2 Arena, Brixton Academy, Electric Brixton, The Garage, Printworks)
- “Press for champagne” at Bob Bob Ricard – CHECK!
- See The Nutcracker ballet at the Royal Opera House
- Explore the Temperate House at Kew Gardens (world’s biggest Victorian glasshouse, recently reopened after a 5 year renovation!)
- Eat Sushi at Sushisamba
- Watch the Changing of the Guard in front of Buckingham Palace – CHECK!
- Relax on the beach at Neverland – CHECK!
- Explore the Hampton Court Palace (Henry VIII’s former residence!)
- See the deers at Richmond Park
- Have a drink at UK’s largest Aperol Spritz bar
- Go for a cocktail at Dandelyan (named the World’s Best Cocktail Bar at the 2017 Spirited Awards) – CHECK!
- Go a boat trip on the Thames
- Take a dip in a London lido
- Enjoy a gig at the Jazz Café Camden
- Go on the London Eye
- See the yearly “Wildlife Photographer of the Year” exhibition at the National History Museum – CHECK! (2017, 2018)
- Watch a play at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
- Go on a Raft Adventure at Lee Valley White Water Centre
- See Tower Bridge lift up
- Discover the story of Winston Churchill and the Second World War at The Churchill War Rooms
- See a theatre play in the West End – CHECK! (The Lion King, Aladdin and Matilda)
- Watch a film in an outdoor cinema
- Have a drink at Aqua Shard at the top of The Shard
- Go on a pub crawl
- Go to a music festival in summer – CHECK! (Lovebox Festival)
- Explore the National History Museum – CHECK!
- Have dinner at Madison London overlooking St. Paul’s Cathedral
- See the fireworks display on Bonfire Night
- Enjoy some good street food at Brick Lane Market – CHECK!
- Explore the antique shops at Portobello Road Market (World’s largest Antique Market!) – CHECK!
- See London’s skyline from Sky Garden – CHECK!
- Visit Karl Marx’s tomb at Highgate Cemetery
- Do a BBQ in a park on a hot day
- Get lost among the flowers at Columbia Road Flower Market – CHECK!
- Play mini golf at Junkyard Golf Club – CHECK!
- Visit Kensington Palace
- Tour the iconic 18th century Dennis Severs’ House at 18 Folgate Street, Spitalfields
- Have dinner at Duck and Waffle
- Wander around Kew Gardens – CHECK!
- Get the most of the Christmas Spirit at Winter Wonderland
- Get the most of Hindu culture at the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
- Enjoy some great street food at Camden Market – CHECK!
- See the Rosetta Stone and mummy collection at the British Museum – CHECK!
- Meet the penguins at ZSL London Zoo – CHECK!
- Ride a bike in Hyde Park
- Ice-skate at the Somerset House ice rink
- Visit the “Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter” – CHECK!
- See the Crown Jewels exhibition at the Tower of London – CHECK!
- Be on both sides of the Prime Meridian Line in Greenwich – CHECK!
- Climb to the top of the O2 Arena
- Run the London Marathon
- Take a helicopter ride above London
- Visit Westminster Abbey
- Try Doughnut Time’s amazing doughnuts – CHECK!
- Visit the colourful Notting Hill Carnival – CHECK!
- Get cold at the Belowzero Ice Bar
Do you also have a home bucket list? If so, what’s on it? What other places and activities would you recommend adding to my London Bucket List?
Want to know why we started a blog? Check out: